6/25/09

New Meal Plan

Alright, ladies and gents, it's time for the next meal plan. The last meal plan and grocery adventure Aric and I had lasted us two and a half weeks. 

Admittedly, we ate out a few times. There's a new Chinese Super Buffet in town (their name, not ours), so of course had to try that out. It's really tasty - they've got five buffet tables, a sushi buffet, and a little cooking station where you can choose your meats and veggies, and they cook it for you (kind of like a low-key Mongolian BBQ). The highlight of the buffet tables - the frog legs. I didn't eat them (ew), but it strikes me funny that a Chinese restaurant would serve them.

But I digress. In addition to eating in restaurants, Aric and I went to Meijer in search of snacks last week. We got our snacks, and on our way to the checkout we saw that Meijer ground turkey was on sale - 10 for $10! It was too good a deal to pass up, so we bought five. They are currently sitting in the freezer, awaiting a plan. My vote is for turkey burgers!

The plan, as it stands right now:
  • Crockpot Chicken Curry
  • Black bean burgers (maybe)
  • Turkey burgers (also maybe)
  • Tacos (ground beef is on sale at Family Fare)
  • Pork loin, pasta, and a veggie (pork loin was on sale - again!)
  • Strawberry and rhubarb crumble
I know that a crumble dessert is not a meal, but one of the volunteers at AccessVision brought in a ton of rhubarb and said we could have as much as we wanted. Never having had rhubarb, and unwilling to pass up the opportunity for free produce, Aric and I grabbed some. I'm not sure when we're going to make the crumble - hopefully the temperature will drop and it won't be so dreadfully humid all of the time.

In addition to making desserts out of strange plants, I would eventually like to start making my own preserves. Our garden isn't going to yield nearly enough produce to preserve this year, but even if I have to use store-bought goods, it just sounds like fun. The idea of making my own preserves gives me the warm fuzzies.

No comments:

Post a Comment