6/20/09

Adventures in Cooking - Lazy Saturday Breakfast

I usually work Monday through Friday. Aric works Tuesday through Saturday. We don't really get a whole weekend to spend together, so we try to make the most of Sundays. Sunday mornings usually involve getting up around noon and making a breakfast buffet together.

We don't have this luxury during the week. Weekday mornings, we are lucky to eat any breakfast at all, much less a complete breakfast.

So sometimes on Saturday mornings, I like to sleep in a little bit, then shuffle around the house and make myself a little breakfast. Nothing nearly as extravagant as Sunday mornings, but definitely nicer than what I get during the week - nada.

This morning I made myself some scrambled eggs and toast, yogurt with blueberries, and coffee.

This coffee we got from Horrocks - the kind that you choose the beans and grind them yourself. So delicious. The coffee pot we have was made for one person (my parents bought it for me before I moved in with Aric), and on Sunday mornings we're usually too lazy to brew another pot, so coffee lasts us for awhile. The cabinet we store the coffee in smells absolutely wonderful.

Scrambled eggs and the last of the rye bread toast.

When I was a kid, I used to love eggs. Somewhere along the way, though, I lost my taste for them. I don't know if I didn't like the flavor, the texture, or was afraid that they were under-cooked. It could be a combination of any of the scenarios.

A few months ago, though, I decided to give eggs another try. Aric started me out with an omlette, since there is more going on than just eggs. I couldn't get enough. From there I graduated to scrambled eggs. At first I was wary of cooking them myself (again with the fear of under-cooked eggs - some things never change), but then Aric made me do it.

Guess what?

I cook some damn tasty eggs! I started out flavoring them with simply with salt and pepper. While tasty, I decided that it needed something else. One day I squirted some sriracha sauce on it. Now, I love me some rooster sauce, but that was too much! The flavor was too concentrated in some areas, and others had no flavor at all.

My solution was to squirt some sriracha into the eggs before I cooked them, to ensure even distribution of flavor. It's amazing! It adds a little bit of heat and flavor, but the eggs are still the star of the dish.

Soy yogurt with blueberries.

I love yogurt, but as I've mentioned before, I have issues with dairy. I'm not lactose intolerant - I'm allergic. Basically what happens is if I eat too much dairy, I get a head cold that promptly drains into my chest. Occasionally I get an ear infection - it used to happen all the time as a kid, but not so much anymore. After my parents taking me to all manner of doctors around Michigan, we finally found someone who said, "hey, this might be a food allergy."

Long story short, we went on a crazy diet to test which common food allergies I might have, and dairy was the obvious culprit.

As long as I monitor my dairy intake, I can manage it just fine. Every once in awhile I make myself sick over a piece of cheesecake or something, but hey, can you blame me? Cheesecake is amazing!

But I digress.

Yogurt is delicious, but unfortunately, made out of milk. About a month ago I was cruising the yogurt aisle, staring longingly at the containers, when I ran across soy yogurt. I almost cried, I was so happy. Now I eat soy yogurt all the time. Sometimes I remember to take some to work for breakfast, and most days it is my "I've just come home from work, I'm tired and don't feel like cooking, but gosh darn it I'm hungry" snack.

We've got some blueberries sitting in the fridge, and in a few days they're not going to be good anymore, so I gave them a quick rinse and threw them on top. In addition to being delicious, and probably my favorite fruit, they are insanely good for you. Packed with anti-oxidants and everything wonderful in this world - there is no such thing as eating too many blueberries. I'm actually hoping to buy a blueberry plant for the garden, so I can just cruise outside and pick some of my own.

So anyway, that was my breakfast today. It was delicious, pretty cheap (the soy yogurt was on sale!), and I'd wager that it's even good for you. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment