6/8/09

Adventures in Cooking - Tahini

Remember back when I made hummus without tahini, because I thought it was hard to find and too expensive?

Well...I found a way around it. As I was cruising recipezaar.com and allrecipes.com (my go-to websites whenever I want to make something new), I found a recipe for black bean hummus that included instructions on how to make your own tahini paste.

Of course I had to try it! By sheer dumb luck I had all of the ingredients on hand, so I whipped up a batch. I think it came out ok - never having purchased tahini, I can't really say. The hummus was tasty, so I guess that's all that matters.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to...

HOMEMADE TAHINI

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 pinch of salt
1/4 cup tepid water

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Pulse sesame seeds in blender or food processor until they become a powder.
2) Add oil, salt, and water. Blend until combined.

TH BOTTOM LINE
Sesame seeds and oil are not something that I regularly have on-hand. I happened to have them from a time, long ago, that I tried my hand at some manner of Chinese dish. I don't remember what I made, I just remember that I didn't like it and was stuck with sesame seeds and oil, which I thought I'd never use.

I'm also out of sesame seeds, so I don't think I'll be buying them again, because I'm not sure the tahini did all that much for the hummus. I'm sure it would turn out fine without, because there were so many other liquids (I will share the recipe in my next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment