9/18/09

I'm giving my blog a complex.

Whoa, look who abandoned her blog for almost two months. Bad blogger!

I assure you, it's not for lack of eating. I've actually been eating some pretty tasty foods. It's just that life (what little life I have, anyway) has kind of taken over and made me not really want to make the clicky-clicks on the keyboard to talk about food.

And, in my renewed effort to keep this blog going and make it the best little blog ever, I am going to go through and clean up my ingredient tags. Nobody cares if I used salt - it's pretty much a given.

Anyway. On to the good stuff.

As a throwback to my last blog entry...yes, putting garlic cloves in the fridge helps them sprout. My garlics are growing quite nicely, with big green tops. What you are supposed to do is plant them in the fall, cover them with mulch through the winter, then harvest in the spring when the tops have wilted. Any time a plant comes with the instructions "harvest when tops have toppled" it makes me angry. I wish there were a more definitive sign than toppled tops. You can't measure topple. There was no Sir Isaac Topple in Renaissance Italy to invent some sort of measurement for the relative horizontal position of vegetable tops. So I feel that it's a terrible direction to give someone, "harvest when the greens have toppled." I have a tendency to think that when the vegetable top is point ever so slightly downward, it has toppled. I am, however, alarmist and generally bad at plants.

And, in further response to my garlic post, about chopping and saving my own garlic, I think it's cheaper to buy a big tub of pre-minced garlic. I can get garlic in a jar about the size of a pickle jar for about $4. Whereas I'd buy 4 cloves of garlic for about the same price, plus the cost of olive oil. And it wouldn't even last me nearly as long. The last big jar of garlic I had lasted me close to a year. Good cost savings right there, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment